Friday, November 11, 2016

We are all Americans


            If I asked you to stand behind our President-Elect, I’d probably face enough vulgar comments, and death glares to send me crawling back into my dorm room and hiding for the rest of my senior year…. Possibly my life. I’d probably get told all these various reasons why I should join the #NotMyPresident movement. I’d probably get a lecture on how “screwed we all are.” So don’t worry, I’m not going to ask you to stand behind our president-elect. I am going to ask you, however, to stand by the office of the President.

            I can probably guess what’s going through your head; a lot of confusion and question marks. Probably the urge to call me a few names. It’s alright. Just give me a few minutes of your time to explain myself.

·      I’m not asking you to support policies or ideas about how our government should act.
·      I’m not asking you to support possible new laws or changes to old laws. I’m not even asking you to support a person or a specific political party.
·      I’m asking you to stand by the office of the president.
·      I’m asking you to write to your congressmen about any concerns you have of your rights and freedoms.
·      I’m asking you to unite not on policy, but on the idea that we truly live in the greatest country in the world and that only together can we make this country better.
·      I’m asking you to respect a truly amazing country and all for what it stands for; and that means everything from peaceful demonstrations of ideas to making informed and educated decisions.

We all have at least one reason to be upset. Honestly, I think everyone has some element of fear, anger, disappointment, and confusion that they now carry with them. However, aren’t we all some form of Americans?


Regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, sexuality, personality, sex, or anything else that might divide us, we are all united by this simple truth: that we are all Americans. So while we might have a future that feels more uncertain than others, we are in this together. So I’m asking you, as Americans, let’s stand together. Let’s stand together for what’s right, which is supporting this amazing country. Because without this country, we wouldn’t have the chance to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment