Friday, February 28, 2014

Hate or Dire Need of Changing Perspective?

It happens to the best of us. We grow tired of something - a place, a person, a city, a friend - and we start to say things that we say we mean. But do we?

I had a professor "bash" my hometown once. It was a minor comment that passed by a lot of the class, but it struck me harshly. True, the stereotype of a lot of things in my hometown has a very deep negative connotation, but it's still home to me.

Cedartown is filled with the majority of "Rednecks". Then again, if anyone in the state of Georgia had any sense of looking around past city centers - most of the people who have always lived in the rural areas and have family history leading back to the civil war or earlier could be considered rednecks.

When people make a comment about how Cedartown is really poor and the people are dumb, I honestly want to take a stand (and not a music one either). True, Cedartown isn't the richest town - especially compared to Rome, Ga. However, there are some benefits to being a small town community that won't be found anywhere else.

1st. Find me one town that rallies behind a hurt athlete for not just a few days - but for over 4 months and continues to support him.

2nd. Find me a town that who's supportive of every single extracurricular activity in some form or fashion. Hometown heroes aren't millionaires. They are the students who are role models for younger kids. They are the everyday people who make a difference without ever realizing it - the first responders, teachers, and anyone who turns a bad day around.

3rd. Find me a town who's hopes ride with those who exceed and are willing to change the world. It's not shown a lot, and the road isn't easy. However, once someone is willing to prove that they want to do something to do something with their lives, eventually someone will find a door that will stay open to help him or her.

4th. Everyone knows everyone. You can't get hurt without everyone asking if you are alright and if you need something. You can't get away with a lie, and if they ask you something it's best to just say it like it is. Friends gathering together isn't just a secluded clic - everyone knows everyone so you find the biggest area to have bonfires, paint wars, etc. and meet up.

5th. The best part about Cedartown is that once you make it through high school there, you can overcome anything thrown at you. You learn not only how to work with people, you learn to understand them. You realize that money isn't needed to have a good time and it surely doesn't buy happiness.

After that professor called out my hometown, I thought and realized I can't hate a place that helped shape me the way that I am. Yeah, I didn't have some of the opportunities that might have been available if I lived in a "high class" area, but I learned lessons that I don't think I would have been able to learn anywhere else.

So next time you think that you hate something, what is it that you hate? Is it really that one thing, or is it your perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment